Monday, December 10, 2012

How to make Fruits and Veggies EXCITING!

I have received word from some parents, teachers, and other staff at the surprise of what I've been able to get kids to eat while I've been visiting the schools.  I often get something like, "My kid would never eat   _______ (fill in the blank with a fruit or veggie) before you visited their classroom.  How did you get them to eat it?!?"

Well, I'll let you in on my secrets! 
1) I try to make new fruits and veggies FUN to try. I do this by having the kids close their eyes and I'll describe the produce.  They then guess what it is once they think they know.  This mystery of getting to guess really gets them excited.  I have done it before when they close their eyes and feels the produce too- this doesn't work so well with so many kids but at home it would be perfect.
2) We closely inspect the fruits and veggies before we try them and pretend we are scientist making new discoveries about our produce.  We use our five senses- how does the produce look?  What does it feel like?  Does it smell like anything we've smelled before? When we bite into it does it make a sound?  And lastly, what does it taste like? 
3) We do fun tests- like the "squishy test" (where we see if the fruit or veggies are hard or soft) or the "rub test" where we rub the produce to see how it feels.

4)  We ALL try the fruits and veggies.  In the month of November the fruit was pears and Super Snack Lady strongly dislikes pears.  However, I did try the pears at every single visit to show the kids how to be brave.  It's also noteworthy that I've had some AMAZING teachers who have "taken one for the team" and try fruits and veggies that they don't like at all just to show the kids that they should be brave and try it too.  Setting a good example for kids is key. If you don't eat it, how can you expect them to want to try it?

Want to be creative with the produce at your house?  I'd check out the book I'll Never Not Ever Eat a Tomato (you can find it on Amazon through this link).  Charlie and Lola get creative with the names of their fruits and veggies and then are surprised at how good they taste once they just give them a little try!

Happy Tasting! (As a family of course)

No comments:

Post a Comment